Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Recipe - Double Chocolate Stout

I'm going to attempt to brew this on Thursday night and start it fermenting before I leave for Mexico. I had another recipe but had trouble finding barley malt syrup at a reasonable price. I found this one in a few different places and all the reviews seem good. I like the large amount of grains used in this one.


Dark brown, roasty, malty smooth, with a distinctive chocolatey finish 

6 lbs. dark malt extract 
1 lb. domestic special pale malt 
1 lb. medium crystal malt 
1/2 lb. roast unmalted barley 
1/4 lb. chocolate malt 
1/2 lb. oatmeal 
1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (add to end of boil) 
1 oz. Northern Brewer (bittering) 
1/2 oz. U.K. Fuggles (flavoring) 
No finishing hops (add cocoa instead) 
1 pkg. Windsor Ale Yeast (or White Labs English Ale or Wyeast #1968) 
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food) 
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming) 
O.G. - 1.049 
F.G. - 1.012



I will not use the oatmeal that this one calls for because I have read that you can only use oatmeal in an all-grain full mash brew. I am only on my second recipe and I am still using a partial mash method of steeping grains. Also, I will use the mauri ale yeast without yeast food rather than the Windsor ale yeast and the bru-vigor.


Although there are a lot of grains in this recipe, I don't believe a partial mash extracts very much sugar from the grains. There are many ways to properly determine this, however, I don't know how efficient my partial mash is. I assume it will not be as efficient as the homebrewers that posted this recipe, but at the same time, I dont want to mess with a recipe when I am this inexperienced.


My calculation of 1 litre - 3.2lbs of extract would mean this recipe calls for 1.875 litres of dark malt extract. SO - to keep things simple, I will just round up to 2 litres. 


The bittering hops should always be added at the beginning of the boil just after the hot break, and I will add the flavoring hops with 10 minutes left. The cocoa replaces the finishing hops and will be added when the brew is removed from the heat.


If any other home brewers happen to stumble upon this blog, I would love some advice and some tips.


I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment